You just got a new piercing. You realize that this is the most vital time for your piercing. It needs to heal and it needs to heal correctly. You either got some advice on how to care for it and you forgot or your piercer let it slip their mind to give you the instructions. Do not fear! Pierced Edge has your back.
Generally, there are three types of cleaning solutions that are widely considered acceptable for piercings. You can use more then one of these if you decide to do so.
- Sterile Saline Solution that does not contain any additives.
- Non-iodized sea salt mixture - There are two ways to go about this. There are products that are sold. Or if you are more of a do it yourselfer, you can make your own. TO DO this, dissolve 1/4 teaspoon iodine free sea salt in 8oz of distilled/bottled water. BE WARNED: Too much sea salt and it could irritate your piercing.
- Mild and fragrance free soap
- Wash your hands. You don't want to transfer any germs/bacteria that may be on your hands to your healing piercing.
- If you decide to use one of the first two cleaning solutions, Soak the piercing with either the saline solution of the sea salt mixture. You can either do this by putting the solution into a cup and place the open end of the cup over the piercing. A vacuum should form so that the cup is a little bit suctioned to the area. Let the solution soak the piercing. You can also use some gauze or paper towels if you either are having problems with cup method or if it is just easier for you to do otherwise.
- If you decide to soap, it is usually best to do it during your shower/bath. Lather up the mild fragrance free soap and rub into the piercing.
- NOTE: You should clean your piercing a max of two times per day. Also, your cleaning option should not remain on the piercing for more than 30 seconds.
- Rinse the piercing to remove any solution/soap residue. This will prevent it from building up which could possibly allow for easier infections.
- Gently pat the area of the area with a dry paper towel or some other disposable paper product.
Follow these instructions, and you should have an infection free piercing healing period. We can not guarantee you won't get an infection but this will dramatically reduce the chance of one developing.